Wednesday 23 July 2014

Warzone Weathering Part 2

Whilst my last post showed a lot of different types of weathering, this post will be a more of a "how to" article, for some of the most effective techniques I didn't address in my previous post.


Tears:

























After the base coat of very dark grey, I applied a lighter faded grey to the edges and scuffed areas and then highlighted these areas by adding a tiny amount of white into the grey mix.
The small rips in the fabric are painted on, firstly with a darker line (pure black in this case), and then bellow and above apply a thin lighter line.

In this case i used abaddon black, eshin grey and some white to mix in,  but the same principle can be done with any other starting colour.



Armour Chips / Scratches

























The method is very similar as for scratches, except the thin highlight goes just underneath the dark line.  Also, applying small dots of pure white sparingly at points some points under chips, can give a metal surface a more reflective appearance.

For both tears and scratches, a brush with a good sharp point is important to get the lines thin,
the rest is brush control, something which will improve with the more time spent painting.



Rust - Quick And Easy Without Powders



















The Plague Hulk legs used a textured rust technique which can be done very messily to still give good results, I used either a Large brush (LB) or Tank Dry Brush (TDB) for all stages.

Basecoat  Rhinox hide (LB)
Rough Application Of Blackfire Earth Texture Paint all over (TDB)
Generous wash of Agrax Earthshade (TDB)
Drybrush of Squig Orange (TDB)
(optional) Light Drybrush of Troll Slayer Orange (TDB)

Using a hairdryer for the base coat and wash can make this a very rapid technique, particularly for applying to larger models.







5 comments:

  1. I really like the armour effects you have done. It actually looks incredibly well done. You are inspiring me to broaden my painting skills! Already following your advice and while its not done yet im getting there!

    Keep it up mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this may seem like a trivial request, but could you please post a How To on getting effects similar to using inks without using inks? I know Ink provides mountains of detail and stuff, but me and my dad hold to the belief that the ink will eventually come off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By inks do you mean the proper artists ink and the inks GW sold years ago? Or do you mean the shades they now sell?
      How about paints you've thinned yourself with medium and water?

      Delete
  3. by inks I ment the proper artists inks and the ones htat gw sold. I didn't realize there was a difference between the old and new GW ink stuff. And I never thought of using thinned paints for shading...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll make a post on inks, thinned paints, and possibly paints rubbing off, tonight or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete