Thursday 17 July 2014

Blogging, Bases and Bilbo!

Before as just an information site for my commission painting, this site is now going to finally becoming a fully fledged blog.  Hopefully this post will give an idea of the sort of content.



So, bases.  Last year I made this:


















It took a while getting the river of slime, using gloss varnish, liquid green stuff and a few green paints.  Now, in half the time i can get a very similar result with Nurgle's Rot, that newer GW effects paint for slime.  Here's some I did yesterday in preparation for a commission; 











I alternated layers of Nurgles Rot with layers of Moot Green mixed with 'Ard Coat, and churned out 20 in little over an hour and a half.  The runny gloop can take ages to dry, so best to do it on a sunny day when you can leave them outside.



















Moral of the story, if you want to try slime or are a nurgle inclined heretic such as myself, get yourself a pot of Nurgles Rot.
Plus, let me know which bases you prefer.









Another basing experiment i've tried recently has been with cork, most tutorials I've found use cork board, which means buying and waiting for it to arrive;















So, from some experimenting, i found using a bread knife to cut uneven slices from a bottle cork, then hand peeling off the edges of each disk gives realistic slate rocks which you can then drybrush, i'll let the pictures explain:



























Some painting; a hobbit; and my Lord of The Ring's fangirl girlfriend later, a bilbo appears:


5 comments:

  1. I take it Bilbo will have a Smeagol eyeing him up?

    Great painting mate. Looking forward to seeing it all progress.

    How durable is that cork base?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will definitely be a smeagol to come.

    The base is pretty durable, I've made a couple and never had any break off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing that diorama when its finished!

      Those Cork bits turned out really well. Cheap and light too. Definitely something to remember for a future project.

      Delete
  3. I got to admit that slate idea would look kick butt for the bases of my highlanders, just need to put some tufts of grass in between the cork and paint the cork green/brown

    ReplyDelete